Since its founding in 2000 in Israel, Larger than Life (Gdolim Me-Hachaim) has become the largest organization working to improve the lives and welfare of children afflicted with cancer and providing support for their families. In its holistic approach, Larger than Life provides them with the strength to fight their terrible illness and win.
We operate in all hospitals across the whole country of Israel and in the homes of sick children from the Negev to the Galilee. We also work with families who bring their child to North America for treatment in major US hospitals.
We are proud that the organization operates from our homes, minimizing overhead expenses by eliminating the cost of renting office space, and all the board members share their time and talents on a volunteer basis.
Larger Than Life USA is a 501 (c)(3) non- profit organization.
Among Larger Than Life Activities
- Building the first preschool for children with cancer in central Israel
- Sponsoring life-saving medications for economically challenged families – medications that are not covered by the insurance.
- Annual dream trips to Disney World and Disneyland for 80 children.
- Healing retreats and support services for family members.
- Tuition-free summer camps for over 300 teenagers and young children.
- Establishing play rooms for hospitals across Israel.
- Providing transportation to and from hospitals for children who needs to be in isolation.
- Donating laptops for oncology departments and at homes of seriously ill children.
- Supporting patient coordinators program in all the hospitals. These coordinators are the link between the patients and the hospitals. They assist the children and arrange activities in hospitals.
- Assisting families who arrive to North America for surgery or treatment with all their needs: transportation, accommodation, visitors, homemade meals, toys, clothes, emotional support.
Background and Mission
In Israel, more than 450 children are diagnosed with cancer each year. In every case, the lives of these children and their families undergo dramatic changes. For these families, life is channeled into a new track in which all t0he family’s resources – physical, emotional, and financial – are directed toward the treatment and welfare of the sick child.
Throughout the year, Larger Than Life organizes a variety of activities for the children and their families, to improve their quality of life and potential medical outcome. These activities are designed to give the children happy experiences and joyous moments that will strengthen their motivation and give them the emotional and physical resources they need to battle this difficult disease.
The family members of the sick child also experience the full impact of the disease: the siblings who are often pushed aside as the parents’ efforts and attention are focused on the sick child, and the parents who are under enormous pressure to deal with their child’s illness.
- Avi Cohen
Board of Directors
- Evrona Katzman
- Chaim Ben- Simon
- Netta Nathaniel
- Albert Nassim
- Ariela Cotler
- Linda Balass
- Oren Ben Ezra
- Sandra Divack Moss
- David Nathaniel
- Dr. Alexander J. Chou
- Dr. Ira J. Dunkel
- Dr. Michael Rubin
- Dr. Tamir Miloh
We aim to support Israeli families facing pediatric cancer from diagnosis to recovery. Our method is to bring about a significant change in these families’ lives by creating joyful experiences while continuing to improve the quality of care and medical conditions for the children.
To improve the quality of life and well-being of children with cancer and their families, all over Israel, regardless of religion, gender, or nationality.